Sunday, July 29, 2007

After Wedding Reception's Blues

It never ceases to amaze me the effects weddings seem to have on people. Yesterday we had a small reception for my daughter Puff and her new husband. They got married a couple of weeks ago in Bonners Ferry and then had a church ceremony in an old church in BC. Fortunately, they double checked and found out getting married in Canada wouldn't have much effect here in the States. Hence, the two ceremonies.
The Duke decided when she was here one day to talk to her about a reception. She said she'd talk to FSil (future Son-in-law) and get back to him. I was shopping at the time. (That's a future topic here).
The next day she had called and the Duke said she wanted to talk to me, but when I asked him what about, he claimed he didn't know. When I called her back and asked her what she wanted, she said she didn't want anything. Ughhhh!!! She then stated that she had called Duke to talk to him about the reception. That was the point at which I found out about it.
Sometimes my idea of entertainment is not necessarily the same as most people. Thinking quickly, I informed the Duke that he had to do the planning, cooking, decorating, etc. It was sheer pleasure watching his face go from horror, to 'I'll show you', to that ever so bold end all statements from husbands....I Can Do That!
I have had about two months of thinking of the wonderful time I would have watching him work his way out of it. I assumed (correctly) that he would be willing to go to any lengths to avoid all the fuss. I was not disappointed. In between the 'oh, sure, right away' which translates to 'do it yourself' and the fun daughters and I had teasing him about it, we had lots of fun.
I must admit he puts on a pretty good show. He did do all the grocery shopping, he did the grilling, he cleaned up the patio and got the tables and chairs set up and signed the checks. I loved going with Puff to order her wedding cake and BlondieJr to get the decorations that Puff didn't know about.
All in all for us, we kept it simple. Although Sil (son-in-law) doesn't think so. Oh well, he's in a matriarch family now and that's the way it goes.
As we all relaxed and had a good time in the warm afternoon sun, I think we all realized that life doesn't get much better than this. Also in attendance were my granddaughter-in-law and my future great grand daughter. (At least these finger are crossed). Grandson is in Iraq and we are all very proud of him and missing him as well.

1 comment:

mamaJD said...

It was a wonderful time. Thank you for including the JD's.

Chico

Chico
It's A Dogs' Life